Thursday 3 August 2017

Tory MP Wants Anti-Trans Bathroom Laws In The UK



David Davies, Tory MP for Monmouth, has argued in a recent article for the newspaper South Wales Argus that transgender women should be made to use men's facilities, referring to them as 'he/she's'.

The article came following the announced plans by Tory Equality Minister Justine Greening to reform the Gender Recognition act to make it easier for trans people to be able to go through the complex process.

Davies wrote;

'It is an absolute given that we should show understanding and compassion towards anyone confused about their gender. We should not discriminate against them in any way, nor should we tolerate verbal or physical abuse towards them or anyone else. However, we cannot consider the rights of transgender people without considering the rights of others.

'If a man decides to register him/herself as a woman, should he/she have the right to use women's toilets, changing rooms, hospital wards, etc.? This would clearly have an impact on the rights of women using those facilities.

'Some might say that I am "on the wrong side of history" or "bigoted". But I would maintain that anyone in possession of male genitalia should be expected to use male facilities regardless of what facilities they are.'

Many people have already called out the article and Mr Davies as inaccurate and disrespectful, both on social media and in the article's comments section.

As a transgender woman who has legally changed her name and gender, and has female gender marker on her legal documents, I use female facilities. I have not, however, had surgery to alter my genitals. But by Mr Davies' rules I should have to enter men's spaces and put my life in danger.

The very concept of having to use the facilities that match your sexual organs is, frankly, ridiculous. Look at the signs on the doors of public toilets, you'll see pictures of men and women in stereotypical representations; trousers and skirts. This is because these are how the world views men and women, but how they look and present, otherwise there'd be pictures of genitals instead.

I'm female, I present as female, dress as female, live my life as female, but this is not enough to be considered female to Mr Davies, rather a physical aspect of myself that is only between me and my partners.

You're right Mr Davies, you are on the wrong side of history, and you are bigoted. Just like you were when you called to stop marriage equality and attacked gay people in 2012. When David Cameron announced plans to legalise same sex Mr Davies wrote the following;

'We're going to lose a large number of very loyal activists who've gone out and campaigned for us over the years and who don't like this idea, so politically it's barking mad.

'I think most people are very tolerant and have no problem at all if people are gay, but, and I hate to say this in a way because people I expect it's going to cause controvesy, but I think most parents would prefer their children not to be gay, knowing most parents want grandchildren if nothing else.'

Mr Davies' original article can be found at South Wales Argus


Go to Amy's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment