Friday 28 August 2015

Miley Cyrus Comes Out As Pansexual - People's Shit Reactions


I try to avoid some of the 'celebrity gossip' if I can, and try not to really write about it, and whilst this post might seem to initially be just that, please bear with me here.

After months of articles and comments that state the musician Miley Cyrus is bisexual after she made comments about having dated both men and women, Miley has gone on record to better define her sexuality.  She has stated that she is in fact not bisexual, but pansexual.  All good right?

Well, it would appear that a lot of people have issue with her using the label pansexual.  Even people within the LGBT+ community.  Here is the Pink News article on her coming out, pay close attention to the comments section.

Just some of the comments I've seen range from the common and 'funny' jokes about having sex with kitchen utensils (really fucking funny guys) to people stating that pansexuality doesn't even exist, that it's just something made up.


As a pansexual person, you're a bunch of dicks.  As a transgender pansexual person, go fuck yourselves.  Seriously.  Pansexuality is not 'made up', it is not something stupid.  It's certainly not being attracted to pots and pans.

Bisexuality is by the very definition of the word being attracted to men and women.  Men and women.  That's all.  Just those two.  Which is why it's 'bi' sexual, because bi means two.  Get it.  Two.  But, here's the problem, their are more than two genders in the world, more than men and women.  So how does that work then?  Well, that's where pansexual comes in. 


Pansexuality is being attracted to people whatever their biological sex, gender or gender identity.  This means that pansexuality includes trans people, gender fluid, gender queer, bigendered, intersexed, anyone who feels they don't fall into the 'traditional' male or female.


By saying that pansexuality doesn't exist, or that it's made up is not only insulting to those people who self identify as pan, but to people who are trans, gender queer, bi-gendered ect.  As a transgender woman who is pansexual all of these comments just anger and upset me.  Why do people who don't want to be constricted to loving/being attracted to only men and women need to stay within the rigid confines of calling ourselves bisexual?

It strikes me as very hypocritical that people within the LGBT+ community feel the need to police and mock the sexuality of others.  And you wonder why straight people don't give a shit about our rights?

If you're one of the people who thinks that pansexuality is just something that's 'made up' and that it should all just be bisexuality, ask yourself how mocking people who are pan is any different from people saying bisexual people are 'confused' or 'greedy' or need to 'pick one' instead of understanding that you're attracted to men and women?  How is making jokes about pan people being attracted to kitchen items different from people making jokes about gay men or lesbian women?

It's not.  You wouldn't stand for that kind of treatment, so don't think that it's acceptable to act that way towards others yourselves.  The LGBT+ community can't expect the straight community to treat us with dignity and respect if we can't even treat each other that way.

If someone is saying they're a sexuality or gender you've never heard of before, look it up, do some research.  Don't mock them, don't deny their identity and don't be a dick about it.

I'm sick of having my gender and who I am always being called into question, of being accused of being a 'fake' or a 'trap' (really hate that term by the way).  I'm not confused about who I am or just trying to trick people into thinking I'm female.  I'm also pretty damn sick of having my sexuality called into question.  I'm not confused about who I love, I'm not trying to make myself sound special or different from bisexuals.  I'm just me, this is who I am.  Stop attacking me for being me.  Stop insulting me for who I love.  Stop mocking me and trying to make me hate myself.

Amy.
xx

Follow Amy on Twitter
Join Amy on Facebook
Join Her Fans on Facebook

1 comment: