Tuesday 14 July 2015

German Chancellor Angela Merkel Believes Same Sex Marriage Shouldn't Be Called A Marirage









German Chancellor Angela Merkel has gone on record as saying that whilst she believes same-sex marriage should be allowed, it should be named something other than marriage.  'For me, personally, marriage is a man and a woman living together.  That is my concept, but I support civil partnerships.'






The German head of state answered questions from the online community as she took part in an interview with German Youtube star Florian Mundt, also known as LeFloid, as part of the 'Gut Leben' (good living) campaign.




When asked about her stance on marriage equality Merkel replied 'I'm someone who is very supportive of us eliminating all discrimination.  We have come a long way, when I remember 25 years ago, many people didn't dare say that they are gay or lesbian.  Luckily we overcame this, you can enter a partnership, a civil partnership.'




'For me, personally, marriage is a man and a woman living together.  this is my concept, but I support civil partnerships', she continued.  'I support us not discriminating against them when it comes to taxes, and to remove any other discrimination wherever we may find it.'




Mundt questioned Merkel on wanting to keep marriage between same-sex couples and straight couples separate whilst giving them the same legal rights.




'For me there is still a difference.'  She tried to explain.  'It's not the same, but they [same sex couples] want the same.  Everything else is an exclusion for me.  I don't want discrimination and I want equality, but I make a difference at some point.'




Her interviewer, quite rightly, tried to point out the absurdity of in one breath claiming to want equality, then in the next continue to differentiate between the two types of marriage.  'So you could say no to discrimination, but we'll keep differentiating between the two?'




'No discrimination,' Merkel responded.  'Marriage as a man and a woman living together.'




This bizarre double standard of saying, 'we wont discriminate and we support you, but we will treat you differently' is very baffling and very concerning.  If the chancellor of Germany does not see what she has said as being discriminatory it could lead to some very concerning situations arising for the German LGBT community.




Amy.
xx





Follow Amy on Twitter
Join Amy on Facebook
Join Her Fans on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment