Wednesday 25 March 2015

Feminist Designer Launches 'Non Sexy' Lingerie


Feminist Hayat Rachi has launched a new line of lingerie named Neon Moon to combat what she believes is a growing trend amongst womens underwear to objectify and sexualise the female body.

The Neon Moon collection will launch with it's first line, Mon Dieo, and will be free of wiring, cleavage enhancing padding and will be made from sustainable bamboo fabric as 'lace and satin mold to the wearers body, which might highlight curves'.  Rachi has described the new brand as being 'designed for women of all body types, including women who embrace pubic, leg and underarm hair'.

'Instead of succumbing to the body shaming, sexualised and objectified lingerie on the market, I used my frustration to start my own brand,' Rachi explained.  'Not everything is about being sexy or being objectified by the male gaze.'

'I find it difficult to find a lingerie brand that shared the same ethos as myself: empowerment, body confidence and the non-objectification of women.'

As well as creating a new range of underwear that does against the physical 'objectification of women' Rachi also hand picked the models for the brand, 'women who support healthier and natural bodies rather than standard fashion models'.


Rachi funded Neon Moon with a kickstarter campaign that despite not ending until April 10th, has already received 181 backers and passed her $5,000 goal.

'I'm absolutely elated with the result.  I genuinely couldn't fathom reaching the $5,000 goal with 18 days left.  I've been so blessed by the support received from women, men, transgender and non-binary people's generosity.'

Rachi credits her goals being met so quickly thanks to people agreeing that women are often overly sexualised by the lingerie industry.

Neon Moon will allow women the option to choose the type of underwear they wish to use, and importantly it gives feminists a positive representation within the lingerie industry.  Hopefully this new band will act as an alternative for those that choose it though, rather than as another way of using the slut/virgin complex to further divide the feminist community.

Yes, the lingerie industy does definietly sexualise their products and the women it uses to model them, and some lingerie is made solely for the enjoyment of those looking at it (male or female), but that does not necessarily mean that flipping it completely on its head is the best solution.

I think it's important to recognise the good work that Rachi is doing with Neon Moon, but it is also vital to not condemn any woman who does not choose to use it, but prefers 'sexy' lingerie.

There is already enough infighting amongst feminist communities over how women should present themselves and how sexualised they should allow themselves to be seen that I sincerely hope that Neon Moon, and other such brands that will hopefully follow, are not used as ammunition in this debate.

If someone chooses to wear Neon Moon underwear then that should be celebrated, if someone wants to wear a lacy thong then that too should be celebrated.  Women need to stand together as a united force, hopefully this new brand will not be used to prevent that.

Amy.
xx

Follow Amy on Twitter
Join Amy on Facebook
Join Her Fans on Facebook

2 comments:

  1. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. How to start a lingerie line

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for the kind words. In regards to where I got the info for this article from, I'm not 100% sure I can remember where I first heard of Neon Moon, as it was a number of years ago, but I reached out to them and their founder to gather information on this article; alongside others that I made covering the brand. Unfortunately, the founder of Neon Moon and I had a falling out a year or so after this article due to them acting unprofessional towards me and stealing to pass off as their own, whilst removing parts they did not like. I'm unaware if the company is still around.

      Delete