Saturday 4 October 2014

A Hope For Trans Women?


News has been breaking today that may be one of major importance to the transgender community.  Today saw the birth of a child that was grown in a transplanted womb.  The 37 year old Swedish woman received the womb from a close family friend last year and today gave birth to her first son.

A pioneering procedure that so far has used donated wombs from living people, some are looking at the possibility of including the womb on donor registration from women who have died.  Despite being able to help thousands of women around the world who don’t have the ability to carry their own child, some are worried that the surgery may be too expensive and potentially dangerous, with no guarantee of a successful pregnancy.

Now, there is no news yet about whether or not this surgery will become something common, or just which women will benefit from it, but I’m sure that every trans women who is reading this now has the same feelings about it that I do.  Hope.  Well, hope mixed with sadness.


I know that I’m never going to be able to have a child, that I can never be a mother to my own flesh and blood.  Yes, there are other options out there available to me, and I’m not saying that I’m not open to them, but the possibility that one day transgender women might be able to carry their own children is phenomenal.

I don’t want to get my hopes up, or any of my readers either, but I hope so much that one day it could happen.

Amy.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment